Amazon Web Services Sr. Data Scientist in Seattle, Washington
Amazon Web Services is continually striving to innovate and provide best in class service, and aims to take how we develop and deliver technology through Amazon’s IT organization to a new level. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Data Scientist to help understand user behavior and how Amazonians interact with Amazon IT systems worldwide to proactively ensure Amazonians have the tools, technologies, and products available where and when they need them.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will work closely with scientists and engineers to develop and run statistical models and produce modeling solutions. You will partner with engineers to build end-to-end data pipelines and production code, and have exposure to senior leadership as we communicate results and provide scientific guidance to the business. You will use Amazon’s wealth of data to help answer tough questions with the full AWS stack at your disposal, analyzing large amounts of data, automating and scaling the analysis, and developing metrics that will guide our direction and enable us to continually delight Amazonians worldwide.
The successful candidate is a curious and analytical problem solver who enjoys diving into data, is excited about investigations and algorithms, can multi-task, and can credibly interface between technical teams and business stakeholders. Your analytical abilities, business understanding, and technical savvy will be used to identify specific and actionable opportunities to solve existing business problems and look around corners for future opportunities.
· Build models and tools using technical knowledge in machine learning, statistical modeling, probability and decision theory, and other quantitative techniques.
· Understand the business reality behind large sets of data and develop meaningful analytic solutions.
· Innovate by adapting to new modeling techniques and procedures.
· Utilize code (Python, R, SQL etc.) for analyzing data and building statistical models to solve specific business problems.
· Improve upon existing methodologies by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, and fine-tuning model parameters.
· Collaborate with researchers, software developers, and business leaders to define product requirements and provide analytical support.
· Communicate verbally and in writing to business customers and leadership team with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about our systems, as well as sharing insights and recommendations
Inclusive Team Culture
At AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· Bachelor's degree and 5+ years professional experience
· Experience in using multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems (e.g. statistical analysis, research science, machine learning and deep learning techniques, data modeling, regression modeling, financial analysis, demand modeling, etc.).
· History of working with large data sets in order to quantify performance via metrics or KPIs.
· Ability to work independently and distill informal business requests into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-expert audiences
· Masters degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or a related quantitative field with 5+ years professional experience in relevant roles
· Experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python), and statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R etc.)
· Experience applying various machine learning techniques, and understanding the key parameters that affect their performance.
· Experience in Customer Service, Operations, Business Process Optimization or Content Management Systems.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.