Penguin Random House LLC Junior Designer in New York, New York
The Random House Children’s Books interior and paperback art team is seeking a highly motivated, creative individual with a desire to learn and grow in all aspects of children’s book design in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. The Junior Designer will be involved in execution of all phases of novel interior design and paperback cover design, from concept through mechanicals to final production.
• Assists the Art Director and team with various design projects using InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator skills; assist with art, photo, and illustrator research.
• Manages all stages of interior and paperback book design from interior art sketches to releasing files to printer.
• Prepares press ready files and review digital and printed proofs, all while maintaining production schedules and printer deadlines
• Communicates in an effective, professional, and courteous manner with supervisor, team, artists, and agents.
• Attends production meetings, cover meetings, and sales meetings with Art Director and editors for specific projects.
• Learn and maintain office systems for billing, contracts, and vendor set up
• 1-2 years in a publishing position, or equivalent exposure to the publishing process.
• Passion for children’s books that includes staying up-to-date on current trends
• A portfolio that highlights Strong typography skills, hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
• Highly organized, able to handle multiple tasks, to prioritize and manage time efficiently.
• Strong attention to detail, quality, and process.
• Some knowledge of pre-press, 1-color and 4-color printing process, and PDF workflow
• Exceptional professional written and oral communication skills.
• Willingness to take on responsibilities and demonstrates an ability to ask for support or help.
To apply, please submit your portfolio and cover letter.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC Country: United States of America State/Region: New York City: New York Postal Code: 10019 Job ID: 174643