Lockheed Martin Powerplants Flight Test Engineering Supervisor, Pax River in NAS Pax River, Maryland
Description: Lockheed Martin Rotary & Mission Systems (RMS) is conducting flight testing on the Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion at the customer's facility on Patuxent (Pax) River Naval Air Station. We are looking for talented and qualified applicants to join the flight test team on this continuing exciting adventure.
This position involves supervisory responsibilities, teamwork and coordination with flight test co-workers in a variety of disciplines (pilots, mechanics, inspectors, instrumentation, data technicians, etc.), customer representatives and subject matter expert design engineers.
An emphasis will be placed on a candidate’s ability to manage people and react to program changes effectively and quickly. The candidate will have technical support and guidance from experienced group members, either from within the on-site team, or from technical experts at the RMS WPB test site.
Key Job Responsibilities:
• This first line supervisory position will be responsible for normal management functions including; proper time charging, expense account approval, annual performance reviews, promotions, and ensuring both technical and Company employee training is complete. Responsibilities will include coaching, teaching, task delegation to direct functional support, necessary technical follow-up, and delivery of required work elements.
• A key responsibility will be to interview, select and on-board new team members as is required to meet program staffing requirements and to ensure those new members have, or will develop, the necessary skills to quickly support the flight test program.
• Overall team responsibility for the on-site planning, conduct, management and reporting on powerplant and related propulsion systems ground and flight tests. These tests include thermal surveys; fire extinguishing and suppression system evaluations, determination of installed engine power, inlet and exhaust surveys, and characterization of engine airframe compatibility together with FADEC-based control systems, fuel systems, environmental control systems and icing evaluations.
• Test planning involves determining / approving measurement requirements, coordinating an overall test approach and supporting the direct staff in defining maneuvers and conditions for which data is to be obtained in order to meet test objectives in a safe and efficient manner. These details are written into published test plans.
• Test conduct involves coordination with instrumentation and aircraft operations personnel, supporting the briefing of flight and ground crews and monitoring tests in real-time using telemetry as backup to group team members. Large volumes of flight data are processed and analyzed; the group supervisor is expected to be aware of this task and support as is required.
• Support the preparation of reports documenting the flight test results. This candidate will review these reports for release as to supervision.
• Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Science.
• Good interpersonal skills are imperative; people management is key; pairing assignments to qualified team members and managing growth opportunities, reacting to rapid program changes and challenges, proper delegation of tasks, delivering on-time, and maintaining safety are the key elements associated with the position.
• Experience in aircraft flight test and analysis
• Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Exceptional time-management and prioritization skills
• Highly motivated team player with pronounced verbal and written technical communication skills.
• Aviation knowledge.
• Personal flexibility is required to support unusual working hours and travel to conduct off-site testing.
Work will be performed at the customer's facility in Patuxent River, MD. While working at Pax River, Sikorsky employees must follow operating procedures as established by the customer which include:
• Must be a US citizen.
• Must currently have and/or be capable of obtaining a security clearance.
• Must currently have or be capable of successfully completing an NCIC criminal background check to access Pax NAS.
• Must currently have or be capable of obtaining full unescorted access Pax NAS.
• Must have a valid photo ID (driver's license + social security card or birth certificate OR US passport).
• Must have valid driver's license/vehicle insurance to drive on base at Pax NAS.
• Leadership and people management experience on technical flight test projects is highly desirable.
• Experience in helicopter propulsion systems and related sub-systems--either applied or theoretical.
• Knowledge of Sikorsky products preferred.
• A solid understanding of military specifications is preferred.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.