Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Technologist (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art concepts to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security?
The Mechanics of Materials Department has an immediate opening for a Mechanical Technologist to work in our laboratories with the experimental mechanics team under the direct supervision of the technical staff. This position supports science and engineering research and development activities which are characterized primarily by their nonroutine, prototypical nature. In the role you will support technical staff, working to realize their ideas and designs and accomplish project goals. The ideal candidate will perform a wide variety of technical procedures with minimal direction. The work will include:
- designing, fabricating, and assembling experimental fixtures
- preparing material specimens and experimental diagnostics
- executing mechanical tests and collecting data
- keeping the lab and equipment maintained and in good working condition
- operating safely in an industrial setting
- High school diploma or equivalent
- General computer skills including email, web search, and Microsoft Office proficiency
- Experience in and/or ability to organize tasks to enable work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Familiarity with mechanical testing, or a willingness to learn
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q security clearance
- Associates degree in Engineering Technology, or a related field.
- Experience with mechanical fixtures and testing, data collection and processing
- Experience or exposure to mechanical design and computer-aided design
The Mechanics of Materials Department performs experimental and analytical studies to characterize and predict the thermal-mechanical behavior of materials, from atoms to continuum, specializing in fracture and failure. Our experimental work covers the spectrum of discovery to characterization to model validation. Motivated by observations, we develop mathematical models to simulate material responses under various loading and environmental conditions. The fidelity of our models and simulations varies from atomic to continuum scales. We develop numerical methodologies so that our material models can be implemented in high-performance computing simulations. Our experimental capabilities include characterizing materials over a wide range of temperatures and strain rates, developing micro- and nanoscale strain and displacement diagnostics, and testing subsystems to support model validations.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.