Mennonite Home Communities Cook in Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Our faith-based mission is to enrich the lives of residents, staff and the community. Must have a passion for helping older adults, positive outlook and be a team player. We offer a pleasant, upbeat, smoke-free environment, with competitive salary and generous benefits package.:
Currently hiring for:
FT (11:00am-7:00pm) Cook at our Woodcrest Villa Campus.:
FT (varied hours) Cook/Prep at Mennonite Home campus.:
The cook position is responsible to prepare foods according to recipes or instruction following food safety guideline, in a clean environment. To assist management in the overall feeding of Residents, Guests and Staff in a timely manner. To assist in controlling food costs by utilizing foods as directed.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS/ EXPECTATIONS:
- Customer Service- Demonstrates consistent excellent customer service in an accurate, timely and courteous manner while maintaining confidentiality.
- Professionalism- Creates and environment of compassion and dignity by performing duties with commitment, team spirit, caring and respect. Presents a neat/clean attire and appearance.
- Accountability- Takes responsibility for individual actions fulfilling work responsibilities related to quality, safety, productivity and adherence to organizational and departmental policies.
- Communication- Presents ideas and information in a respectful, timely and concise manner. Able to listen and interpret information accurately.
- Teamwork- Works toward a common goal or shared purpose by cooperating and partnering with others.
Dependability- Reports to work area on time and according to schedule. Can be counted on to complete full shift and work assignments. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Responsible to run and maintain the kitchen in the absence of management team.
- Responsible to open or close kitchen including equipment.
- Responsible for the preparation and cooking of assigned foods based on daily production sheets.
- Responsible to meet of exceed Federal and State regulations established by the Department of Health of Department of Public Welfare.
- Responsible to ensure proper doneness of foods cooked.
- Responsible to follow safe food handling practices. Responsible to maintain all temperature and sanitizing sheets.
- Responsible to communicate to managers any problems that may result in customer dissatisfaction of product.
- Responsible to produce the proper amount of food based on pre-established amounts and follow standardized recipes or verbal instruction accurately.
- Operate kitchen equipment following safe practices and procedures. Responsible to report any malfunctioning equipment to the manager immediately.
- Rotate foods based on dating system to be followed. Always follow FIFO: First In First Out.
- Oversee the production staff to ensure meals are done according to specific time schedules.
- Responsible to demonstrate good personal hygiene with frequent washing of hands.
- Accountable to demonstrate basic knowledge with portion control, slicing, cutting techniques and to assist in meal planning.
- Responsively to assist in inventory control as directed.
- Responsible to ensure that foods are stored and dated in appropriate areas.
- Responsible to sanitize work tables frequently during production/
- Responsible for cleaning assigned equipment, walk-ins, freezers and dry storage areas.
Recommend and support management team in changes within the department. OTHER FUNCTIONS:
Responsible to attend in-services and training programs as directed or scheduled.
- Performs related and unrelated duties in case of dept or MHC emergency.
- Responsible to be flexible in schedule in case of staff shortage or emergency.
- Responsible to conform to MHC policies and procedures to include but not limited to policies regarding infection and safety controls as well as dress code.
- Employee has completed annual compliance and HIPAA training and exhibits behavior as set forth by the code of conduct in the performance of their duties.
Mandatory training requirements completed as assigned. EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/JOB RELATIONSHIPS:
High School Diploma/GED is preferred.
- Formal culinary education preferred or previous experience in an institutional facility.
- Experience in preparation of high volume foods.
The Cook reports directly to the Operations Manager and the Director of Dining Services. Cook also interacts with Dietician and Nutritional Specialist. WORKING CONDITIONS/ACCIDENT EXPOSURE:
The ability to meet a variety of physical requirements such as frequent reaching, bending, stooping, twisting, squatting, standing and walking for long periods of time. Must be able to lift various weights up to 50 lbs. Must be able to push and pull carts with weights that average approximately 150 lbs.
- Potential for burns, cuts and sprains.
- Potential for shocks from high powered appliances, if not operated properly.
- Possibility of slipping on wet or greasy floors, if proper footwear is not worn and if signs are ignored.