Occidental Petroleum Reservoir Engineer in Houston, Texas
Title: Reservoir Engineer Location: United States-Texas-Houston Other Locations:
Occidental is an international energy company with assets primarily in the United States, Middle East and North Africa. We are one of the largest oil producers in the U.S., including a leading producer in the Permian and DJ basins, and offshore Gulf of Mexico. Our midstream and marketing segment provides flow assurance and maximizes the value of our oil and gas. Our chemical subsidiary OxyChem manufactures the building blocks for life-enhancing products. Our Oxy Low Carbon Ventures subsidiary is advancing leading-edge technologies and business solutions that economically grow our business while reducing emissions. We are committed to using our global leadership in carbon management to advance a lower-carbon world. Visit oxy.com for more information.
Our greatest asset has been, and will continue to be, our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Reservoir Engineer in our US Onshore Resources & Carbon Management (ORCM), Delaware Basin Business Unit based in Houston, Texas.
- Provide reservoir engineering development recommendations and support for Delaware Basin assets. Support includes integration of subsurface data with production data, understanding risks and opportunities in each area of responsibility (e.g., geological risks/opportunities, depletion risks, interference risks, design risks/upside, etc.) and estimating well performance at a given development scenario. Understanding and optimizing for key productivity drivers is critical.
- Responsible for creating type well profiles (TWPs) for all potential benches for development. Leverage experience with various type well profile (TWP) workflows to choose and refine best methodology. Work product includes assessing risk factors, confidence level quantification, and forecasting ranges of outcomes for well performance at different spacing recommendations. Provide TWP documentation and justification for annual reserves booking and business plan cycles.
- Optimize well spacing, stacking, landing patterns, and completion design alongside development team, completions engineers and geoscientists.
- Support field development plans, as well as business plan and reserves cycle as needed.
- Responsible for the surveillance of wedge well performance in areas of responsibility. Provide periodic updates of actual well performance as compared to expectations, and the main causes of any deviations.
- Integrator and coordinator of program lookbacks to evaluate lessons learned and improvements for future programs. Such responsibility also includes evaluating, communicating well performance results, assessment of science diagnostics, extracting technical learnings, and understanding key business implications of each learning.
- Provide reservoir engineering support for base producing wells, as well as any recompletion or workover candidates (such as well-productivity assessment, quantifying potential uplift, potential skin/damage identification via rate-transient analysis, and economic assessment).
- Create and maintain RTA models for many wedge wells in areas of responsibility. Be able to assess reservoir diagnostics based on well performance.
- Maintain surveillance of offset competitor activity around area of responsibility.
- Provide reservoir engineering support in any engineering study integration within the business unit and support teams.
- Education: Bachelor of Science or Master’s degree in an Engineering discipline.
- Experience: 7 years or more of related experience in Reservoir Engineering, preferably in the Permian Basin, evaluating unconventional reservoirs.
- Experience with optimizing infill development and creating plans for full-section development
- Experience with RTA on unconventional assets and applying best practices.
- Experience with reservoir simulation modeling, frac modeling, frac design, and/or geomechanics modeling highly valued.
- Programming skills (particularly Python) and understanding of data analytics and machine learning are preferred. Spotfire knowledge and the ability to manage big datasets are required. Must be effective at creating impactful data visualizations and leveraging them to affect business decisions.
- Knowledge of reserves reporting processes and PRMS and SEC Reserves definitions
- Possess strong presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Critical thinking and challenging the status quo.
- Multi-tasking and problem solving with an ability to analyze and recommend solutions on projects with a high degree of uncertainty.
- Ability to interact effectively with team members and other departments.
- Exhibit the qualities of a good team player such as conveying a positive attitude within/outside the organization, contributing ideas, open minded, able to work under pressure, and collaborating with team members to find new ways of working efficiently to extract the maximum value from assigned assets.
- Embody the Oxy Values:
- Lead with passion: love what you do and aim to revolutionize the industry.
- Outperform expectations: always demand excellence from yourself and think boldly.
- Deliver results responsibly: hold yourself accountable and never stop building value.
- Unleash opportunities: unlock potential by taking calculated business risks necessary to advance.
- Commit to good: do the right thing no matter what and take care of your colleagues, the company, and the world.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.