MD Anderson Cancer Center Research Assistant I - Stem Cell Transplantation Research in Houston, Texas
The Research Assistant I conducts experiments and carries out research projects in varied areas of chemistry, biology, physics and other biomedical, or related scientific fields. Constructs, assembles and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment. Studies are specific to Hematopietic Progenitor Cells. Position assists with the development of new clinical studies involving ex vivo cord blood expansion techniques, the isolation and characterization of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell subpopulations and the study of these cells in animal models with the goal of studying and improving hematopoietic engraftment
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Performs technical laboratory duties in accordance with a predetermined course of action.
Oversee lab supplies and maintain equipment.
Coordinate rotation room.
Routine maintenance and equipment.
Prepares and conducts experiments and/or as requested by the PI or their designee.
Obtaining peripheral blood, bone marrow and spleen samples from animal models and processing of same for flow cytometric and in vitro assays.
Entry/capture into database.
Isolate primary human NK cells, transduce them
Culture and maintain primary human cells and cell lines
Stain the cells for flow cytometry based experiments
Reads literature and confers with superiors regarding new procedures. Collects and organizes data for project reports.
Occasional data presentation during weekly meetings
General lab cleaning/organization
Ensuring maintenance of lab standards
Assist postdocs and researchers with clinical trials, data, projects. etc
Other duties as assigned
· Courtesy: Is respectful and courteous to each other at all times.
· Friendliness/Teamwork: Promotes and rewards teamwork and inclusiveness; is sensitive to the concerns of our patients and our co-workers.
· Reliability: Communicates frequently, honestly and openly.
· Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for practicing our values.
· Safety: Models safe behavior (wears badge and personal protective equipment, washes hands, and keeps work area clean and orderly); Notices a safety concern or emergency, understands role and uses proper procedures to report it; Mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices; Demonstrates ethical and personal responsibility in work and behavior
· Responsiveness: By his/her actions, creates an environment of trust; Encourages learning, creativity and new ideas.
· Personal Leadership/Self-Initiative: Helps others to identify and solve problems; Seeks personal growth and enables others to do so.
Required: Bachelor's degree, major course work in one of the basic sciences.
Required: No experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 159191
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
Work Week: Day/Evening
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 36,500
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 45,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 54,750
FLSA: non-exempt and eligible for overtime pay
Fund Type: Soft
Work Location: Onsite
Pivotal Position: Yes
Referral Bonus Available?: No
Relocation Assistance Available?: Yes
Science Jobs: No