MD Anderson Cancer Center Research Assistant I - Leukemia in Houston, Texas
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The Research Assistant I provides technical assistance in carrying out various research projects.
Biological sample processing, archiving and data management
· Processes and archives biological samples.
· Manages sample storage including high quality record-keeping, mapping sample positions, and data entry.
· Prepare samples for distribution, including locating, diluting, aliquoting and plating samples.
· Performs routine maintenance of ultra-low freezers, liquid nitrogen, C02 and water levels.
· Should be able to maintain equipment such as high-speed centrifuges, pH meters and microfuges.
· Manually operates and maintains the lab equipment. Visually reads equipment
operation manuals and procedure manual whenever necessary.
· Must be able to lift and carry items up to 20-25 pounds and carry or move from one area of the lab to another by using a roller cart.
· Must be able to comply with all institutional safety policies including Universal Precautions and OSHA standards when handling toxic, hazardous, flammable,
radioactive or potentially infectious or carcinogenic materials. This may require wearing common protective garments or equipment such as gloves, eye protection, face mask, gown or lab coat, etc. Additionally some procedures may require the use of a fume hood or biological safety cabinet.
Collect Samples and Processing Samples
· Retrieve blood and bone marrow samples collected from patients in various clinics and inpatient units throughout the hospital and transporting them back to the laboratory.
· Process samples to yield DNA, RNA, protein, viable cells and serum using standardized operating procedures.
· Isolate specific cell fractions using magnetic antibody conjugated sorting. Automated DNA and RNA extraction is performed.
· Perform quality control assays on the materials produced.
· Distribute samples to researchers, or the surplus material is banked for later use.
Required: Bachelor's degree, major course work in one of the basic sciences.
Required: No experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 133135
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: No
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 30,400
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 38,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 45,600