Job Information

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers NATURAL RESOURCES SPECIALIST (RANGER) in Carthage, Tennessee


About the Position: Serve as a natural resources management staff specialist at a large water resource development project with greater than ten thousand acres of land and water, or at several smaller projects that are collectively similar in size to a large Corps lake. This position is located in Carthage, Tenn.


Perform traditional ranger duties to further project objectives

Oversee the conservation, preservation restoration and use of all project natural and cultural resources.

Act as chief advisor to the resource manager concerning natural resource conservation matters.

Oversee the conservation, preservation restoration and use of all project natural and cultural resources.

Manage projects and habitat supporting fish and wildlife resources, including the protection and preservation of threatened and endangered species.

Coordinate the project water quality surveillance program with state and federal resource protection agencies and the public to implement Best Management Practices for reduction of non-point sources of pollution.


Conditions of Employment


Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities. Current Civilian Employees of the OrganizationCurrent Department of Army Civilian EmployeesCurrent Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)Executive Order (E.O.) 12721Interagency Career Transition Assistance PlanLand Management Workforce Flexibility ActNon-Department of Defense (DoD) TransferOffice of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement EligiblePriority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) EligibleReinstatementVeterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998 In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document. Basic Education Requirement:

A bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)


A combination of education and experience which includes courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.) One year of specialized experience which includes overseeing the conservation, preservation restoration of a large water resources development program; manage natural, cultural and physical resources and perform a variety of park ranger duties associated with the following functional programs; provide visitor assistance through citation authority during peak visitation and to prevent misuse of natural resources by the public; participates in patrols of project lands and waters to ensure compliance with federal regulations; notes violations and takes appropriate action, issues warnings and violation notices and reports noncompliance to higher grade personnel. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09). OR Education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position, such as: Biological Science, Agriculture, Natural Resource Management, or Chemistry. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.) OR Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the second year (total graduate semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages. You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:

Customer ServiceLeadershipNatural Resource ManagementProgram ManagementWritten Communication Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent GS-09 for GS-11. Physical Demands: The work is somewhat sedentary except during regular and recurring field trips to perform on site examinations, inspections or surveillances of on-going operations at field projects. These trips involve considerable walking or climbing over rough terrain, steep trails, riding in motor boats on the lake, etc. Work Environment: The work involves some degree of risk when in the field, including risks associated with rugged topography, working on or near water, and risks associated with toxic materials and moving machinery or equipment such as off road vehicles, motorboats, etc.


FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:

Additional Information

Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration. You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. Two year trial/probationary period may be required. Direct deposit of pay is required. Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees. If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet. This is a Career Program (CP) 18 position You may claim military spouse preference (MSP). If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration. Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement. Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.. Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest. Relocation and recruitment incentives are not authorized.